Tibet Online
|        Home      |        Message        |        Tibet Today        |        History & Truth        |        About Tibet        |        Documents        |        Photo        |        Video        |
   Position :Tibet Online > Message > Facts & Figures
Stable power supply available to 70 percent of Tibet
    Date:09-29-2017 Source:Xinhuanet Author:    

Sept.29,2017--Stable electricity supply has reached 70 percent of Tibet's population as grid upgrades in the region conclude.

Sources with the State Grid Corporation said the region's main grid has been extended to 62 out of 74 counties and urban districts in Tibet Autonomous Region, covering 1.6 million people living in rural areas.

As of the end of 2011, power had reached the last 520,000 rural Tibetans living without electricity, but the supply remained unstable as power in some places were provided by small hydro stations and blackouts were common during the winter dry season.

In 2016, Tibet began the latest upgrade of rural electricity, extending the main grid to previously unreachable areas. The upgrade is estimated to cost about 11.9 billion yuan (1.83 billion U.S. dollars).

The authorities have set a target to provide stable electricity to 97 percent of Tibet's population by 2020, and the remaining 3 percent will use solar panels or small hydro-stations.

 Related News:
Tibet Online
 Photo more>>>
·Belt and Road Initiative "great achie...
·Xi Jinping addresses Leaders' Roundta...
·Belt and Road forum: Xi Jinping holds...
·Full video: President Xi delivers key...
·《Tibet Short Documentaries》——A Ca...
·《Tibet Short Documentaries》——Moun...
·《Tibet Short Documentaries》——Guar...
 Editors' Picks
·Over 100,000 Tibetan antelopes migrate for lambing
·Tibetan delegation visits Australia
·"Litaqin" ceremony held in Tibet's Tsurphu Monastery
·Tibetan delegation visits South Korea
·Tibetan cultural exchange delegation visits Denmark
Tibet Online

Address:3/F, C Tower, RECREO International Centre, 8 Wangjing East Road, Chaoyang District, Beijing 100102, PRC
Copyright China Intercontinental Communication Co., Ltd All Rights Reserved.